Pages

Tuesday, April 16

welcome, mornings!

It was not uncommon during my college years to wake late and then, chucking shoes from an aesthetically pleasing, but stress-provoking shoe basket, yell in various stages of panic and anger, "Shit! Shit! Shit!" [Sorry if I offend, but that word was the absolute essence of those mornings].

But.

I am happy to announce that the slew of profanities that accompanied my waking self for most of my twenty-two years, has gradually, over the last three or so months, turned into a simpler, "Argh. Fine."

Those first moments, as I ease into consciousness, will never be blissful.  But they are becoming manageable, which is a lovely change.  And once I emerge from these moments fully, I have found that I am, contrary to previous belief, a morning person.

I mean, really!  Mornings are, to put it eloquently, where it's at.  I usually leave my apartment around 6:15 a.m. so I get to work between 6:30 and 6:45 [fear not!  That's the end of my morning list--I'll save you the savory details of what I eat for breakfast, how I pick out my outfits, etc.]. And I must say--waking up is hard, but being awake?  Kinda awesome.  I love all the various stages of my day for different reasons, but consider 6:30-7:45 a.m. to be its own kind of holy.

There is something deliciously refreshing about a clean slate.  About getting to decide, to the extent you control, what the next day will bring.


"Today I choose life.  Every morning when I wake up I can choose joy, happiness, negativity, pain...to feel the freedom that comes from being able to continue to make mistakes and choices--today I choose to feel life, not to deny my humanity, but embrace it."  -Kevyn Aucoin

And, because I simply cannot help it:

"I think that when you get dressed in the morning, sometimes you're really making a decision about your behavior for the day.  Like if you put on flip-flops, you're saying: 'Hope I don't get chased today.' 'Be nice to people in sneakers.'" -Demetri Martin

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment